Monthly Newsletter - February 2011
This email contains graphics, so if you don't see them, view it in your browser.
Greetings from the Mally family and Bright Lights staff! We hope this newsletter finds your family healthy, encouraged in the Lord, and joyful in your service for Him.
Should We Go For The Gold? (By Harold Mally)
“Surely there is a vein (mine) for the silver, and a place for gold where they fine (refine) it. Iron is taken out of the earth, and brass is molten out of the stone...but where shall wisdom be found?” (Job 28:1, 2, 12)
Here is a Bible Quiz. Question: Who was Bezaleel (pronounced similar to pretzel with an extra el at the end) and what does he have in common with fathers? Bezaleel was a very gifted man and God used him greatly, although he isn’t mentioned very much in the Bible. He’s obviously quite obscure, but we have something important to learn about him.
Fathers, have you ever told your family what your goals are for them? Have you formed an outline of the goals you envision for each member of your family? Quite a few years ago it dawned on me that I had never actually done that homework. My first thought was that I didn’t want to just make something up. Nor did I want to find some fancy worded list in some education book. I wanted to see if I could find a passage of Scripture that outlined the objectives of educating a family.
I found several passages. Deuteronomy 6 comes to mind as one passage. Philippians 2:14-15 is also an important statement and a wonderful goal. And then there is Psalm 127—it’s hard to beat that one. There are numerous other parenting passages, but the one that surfaced that I felt described our goal in the most complete way and gave us an academic framework was the opening verses of Exodus 31. It describes a man named Bezaleel. Here is what is says. “the LORD spake unto Moses, saying: See, I have called by name Bezaleel the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah, and I have filled him with the spirit of God in wisdom, and in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship,...to...make all that I have commanded thee.”
This passage describes five qualities given to Bezaleel that every person needs. These five became our family’s educational goals – Wisdom, Understanding, Knowledge, Skills & Ministry. The word “ministry” is not used in Exodus 31, but that is what Bezaleel and his helpers were doing. They were chosen and gifted to build the tabernacle in the wilderness. They were building a physical building. We, as believers in Christ, the church, are “workers together with God” building a spiritual building with “living stones.”
It is interesting that the first three – wisdom, understanding and knowledge – are mentioned quite a few times together in Scripture. Notice that the public school can’t really teach the first two because they are spiritual in nature, and only part of the third one because there are some topics (creation science or God’s hand in history for instance) which are prohibited. The fourth goal is practical workmanship (skills), and the fifth is ministry. The public school can’t touch the last one either.
Bezaleel was using his gifts for ministry. He was building the tabernacle, God’s tent. That is our family’s goal – ministry. We need the first four goals to achieve the fifth, and we need the vision of the fifth to motivate us to accomplish the first four. :-) Confusing? I hope not. Ministry together is one of the most important things a family can do to build strength. It is a one of the key ways to train our young disciples. Here are these five goals in a little more detail, though very abbreviated.
1. Wisdom – Knowing God and His Word through the Lord Jesus Christ and seeing life from His perspective
2. Understanding – Displaying God’s ways by separating light from darkness in true godliness and holiness
3. Knowledge – Being filled with the knowledge of Christ, His creation, and His work on the cross
4. Practical Skills – Developing skills, talents, abilities, and interests that God has given and entrusted to us
5. Ministry – Leading others to freedom in Christ and maturity in Him
Recent News (submitted by Bekah May)
- This past Monday, Feb 7th, our Spring internship officially began! We were pleased to welcome Baylie, Emily, Kelsey, and Kristin to our office, and we’re looking forward to what the Lord has in store for all of us during their time here. We’re excited about the ministry opportunities that the Lord has given us and the four young ladies who have come along to “join in the work and labor at it.”
- Our 2011 Conference Schedule is now confirmed! You can visit our website to see the dates and locations for the Bright Lights Conferences, as well as the Home School Conferences at which that the Mally family will be speaking. (Click here to register for the Strong in the Lord and/or Radiant Purity Conferences.) We look forward to seeing many of you during our travels!
The Search (by Harold Mally)
For several months we have been looking for another van to replace our present one. God has already provided the money so that we are able to buy it, but we cannot find the right one and now it is coming down to the wire. We are looking for a very specific van because it has to be large and be able to pull a big trailer. We specifically need the Ford 10 cylinder engine. So, if anyone knows of such a van for sale, we are interested. Here is what we need. We are looking for a 15 passenger, Ford E350, one-ton van with the 10-cylinder engine, preferably with under 100,000 miles. Ford stopped putting that engine in vans in 2006 so they are getting harder to find. The ones we did locate were not in good enough condition or had some other combination that didn’t work for us.
Our present van still operates but with almost 250,000 miles on a van that always pulls a heavy, 24 foot trailer we are concerned that the transmission will go out one of these days. We don’t want to break down half way to a conference when there would not be enough time for a large repair job. We have conferences in 12 different cities in the next 7 months so it is certainly the right time to be prepared with the right vehicle.
Here is a picture of the wonderful van and trailer that has serviced us well for the last 4 years. We have blown some tires, hit a deer, burned out all 10 coils at one time or another, occasionally had trouble finding a place to park, and we have often been loaded down with luggage from 20 Bright Lights leaders. :-) But it has been a wonderful van.
Prayer Requests (submitted by Sarah)
- Pray for safety for our family as we travel to homeschool conventions in Memphis, TN; Greenville, SC; and Cincinnati, OH during the month of March.
- Pray for the girls who are here for our spring internship. They have been a tremendous blessing to us already and we are praying that God will bless them greatly while they are here. A couple specific prayer requests for them would be that God would give them wisdom as they meet once a week discipling a younger girl and as they teach several upcoming Bright Lights meetings in the Cedar Rapids group.
- Keep praying for Grace as she writes some material on witnessing, and also for Dad and the boys’ discipleship material he is writing!
Online Resource of the Month
Pilgrim’s Progress Audio CD Series
This month we are offering $5.00 off of each of these two CDs series—Pilgrim’s Progress, “Christian” and the counterpart series, “Christiana” (each contains 6 CDs). These have been a favorite in the Mally household for many years. It’s the kind of story you can listen to again and again, learning something new every time.
Written over 300 years ago by a faithful street preacher who was confined for 12 years in a loathsome British prison for preaching without a license, John Bunyan’s Pilgrim’s Progress has become a Christian classic. It has been said that no book except the Bible has been translated into as many languages.
This offer will be honored on our online store through March 20th. At checkout use Promo Code: pilgrim
Home School Conferences
Spring and Summer of 2011
The Mally family will be speaking at home school conferences in Tennessee, South Carolina, Ohio, Texas, New Hampshire, and Pennsylvania. See schedule here.
First Bright Lights Conference
April 19-20, 2011 Strong in the Lord conference
April 22-13, 2011 Radiant Purity conference
Other Bright Lights Conferences
Our summer and fall schedule includes Bright Lights conferences in Wisconsin, Nebraska, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Minnesota. We will be doing both a Strong in the Lord conference and a Radiant Purity conference in each location.
Click here to register or for more information about the conferences.
Summer Bright Lights Internship
June 13th – August 26th, 2011
May the Lord’s blessings be on you all!
Till next month,
The Mally Family and Bright Light Staff
Not interested anymore? Unsubscribe